Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gary's Radio Radio review

I appreciate that all music is subjective and that judging art is purely an individual effort. I can only tell you what I think of an album and how it made me feel. But at the same time I also believe something really bad is universally bad, ie- Michael Bay movies.

So with that intro it should come as no surprise that I didn’t dig Radio Radio. It’s unintentionally silly and ridiculous. It almost tries to emulate the Brooklyn dance-rock scene of bands like Animal Collective and Digital Projektors (oddly two other bands I think are terrible) but with a Weird Al Yankovic twist. This album is just a mess.

There is good amongst the bad, like some of the hooks in some of the songs, but not nearly enough to make up for the fact that this album seems ill conceived.

Every year there’s one album that appears on the Polaris list that's inclusion baffles me. Mostly because the rest are so good and I have trouble believing the judges got it so wrong but also because there were so many better Canadian albums. There’s no question which category Radio Radio fits into.

I can’t help but think someone like Jason Collett listens to this album and thinks what the fuck? Why them but not me?

No comments:

Post a Comment