Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dave's Galaxie Review

GALAXIE – Tigre et diesel

I have no idea what Galaxie are singing about on this album - but I like the way it sounds. There's an intense Brit-pop element but also a techno influence and for most of the album it works really well. It ebbs and flows between disco stompers and reflective ballads seamlessly.

Galaxie appears to be the red headed step-child of the Polaris Shortlist this year – accessible, poppy, and danceable – it’s hard to find that on the list, but here they are, and they fit. As Gary mentioned – they are Primal Scream almost more than Primal Scream.

For me, there is a huge language barrier, I can catch phrases and words but I’m not a fluent speaker of French so context is lost on me but I get the jist - which sucks for me when I want the whole picture.

There is nothing outstanding for me about this album, but it’s really good. I think it’s solid and fits in nicely amongst the shortlist, but at the end of the day it feels middle of the road. It stands out but for me it's not as much of a frontrunner as other noms are. The album is still fun, but I don't know if I'll look back and still like this album as much this time next year.

KEY TRACKS: Piste 1, Encore, Camouflar

No comments:

Post a Comment