Thursday, September 8, 2011

Gary's Ron Sexsmith Review


There are certain constants in this world - unmistakable truths that exist. The sun will always rise and set, Coldplay will never put out an album that isn’t complete cheese and no one will ever take Nicolas Cage seriously as an actor.

Ron Sexsmith is one of those constants. Regardless of your musical tastes or preferences, we can all agree that Sexsmith puts out solid, easy to digest music with a Canadiana flare. His voice is instantly recognizable - like Kermit the frog crooning over an acoustic guitar.

So it should come as no surprise that Long Player, Late Bloomer is that in spades. It’s upbeat, catchy and sure to have you whistling the hooks for a week. It’s a great album to have on in the background during a dinner party, or while you cook dinner or flip through a magazine on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

It’s also why I’ll probably never listen to this album again.

Yes - it’s all the things I just mentioned, but for whatever reason it does nothing for me - and that kills me. I’m so worried I’m not getting it. I have to be missing something. I keep waiting for someone to tell me what that is so I can love this album unconditionally. But nothing.

I even feel guilty writing this because Sexsmith seems like just about the most genuine, all-around nice guy in the music biz. I think I would die inside if ever read this (but let’s be realistic).

This is the first album we’ve reviewed that I can’t point my finger at any one problem or fault or misstep to justify why I can’t get behind it.

The musician in me recognizes the effort and songmanship that went into this album. Sure, songs like Miracle border on 70s  yacht-rock like Steely Dan or Christopher Cross - but deep down everyone likes a little "Ride Like the Wind?"

Hardly a slight.

And songs like Eye Candy, Believe It When I See It and The Reason Why are so uplifting and hooky I feel like - with a little work - I could become a fan. Maybe.

Long Player, Late Bloomer is Ron Sexsmith doing what he does best - and that’s being Ron Sexsmith. He clearly writes the music he knows and could care less what some hack of a blogger thinks about that.

I’m sorry Ron...I didn’t want to let you down.

Key Tracks: Eye Candy, Believe It When I See It, The Reason Why

No comments:

Post a Comment